I enjoy speaking about my work in AI, recommender systems and personalization, and semantic search.
In the current times where AI touches many aspects of our lives, I feel a responsibility as a computer scientist to explain about my work and area of expertise, and participate in the public debate.
- October 31: AI for Good #2: Inclusiviteit & Veiligheid
Felix Meritis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link
- October 14: AI & Ethics Panelist
Reshaping Work 2022 Conference, De Rode Hoed, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link
- October 7: TBA
Guest lecture, Maastricht University, Maastricht.
- September 23: The Future of the Labor Market
Business seminar series “UvA in DeLaMar,” DeLaMar, Amsterdam. link
- May 23: AI in HR: Recommender Systems and Ranking, NLP for matching, and Knowledge Graphs
UGent Data Science Seminar, UGent, Gent, Belgium. link
- May 18: Panel on AI in HR & recruitment for a more inclusive labor market
“Hey Siri: Vind een geschikte kandidaat” Conference in DeFabrique, Utrecht. link
- April 14: IR in HR: Matching, ranking, and representing jobs and job seekers. Invited Industry Day Talk at the 44th European Conference on Information Retrieval. Stavanger, Norway
- April 11: Guest lecture on Algorithmic Matching & News Recommendation at Business Ethics MSc. Course. HvA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- March 25: AI in HR: algorithmic matching, bias, and bias mitigation KINTalks series. VU Amsterdam/hybrid, The Netherlands. link
- December 16: AI for bursting filter bubbles and addressing bias in hiring
Amsterdam Tech Talk @ Elsevier (internal event), online.
December 9: Panel on AI in HR & recruitment for a more inclusive labor market
“Hey Siri: Vind een geschikte kandidaat” Conference in DeFabrique, Utrecht. link
- December 3: Guest lecture on Data Science in HR: recommender systems, knowledge graphs, vacancies and resumes
Data Science in the Wild colloquium series, Applied Data Science MSc, Utrecht University (online)
- September 17: Keynote on Data Science in HR: recommender systems, knowledge graphs, vacancies and resumes
International Workshop on Fair, Effective And Sustainable Talent management using data science (FEAST) at ECML-PKDD 2021. link
- September 8: Data Science @ Randstad.
Data Science Demo @ ING (internal event), online.
- September 1: Webinar “Conversations on Governing AI with Randstad & Dataiku“
Dataiku Webinar, online. link | post
- June 8: Guest lecture on Recommender Systems in HR
Course: Human-Centered Machine Learning, MSc Artificial Intelligence, Universiteit Utrecht
- April 13: Guest lecture on Recommender Systems in HR
Course: Collectieve Intelligentie, BSc Informatiekunde, Universiteit van Amsterdam
- April 8: Talk on “Pragmatic ethical and fair AI for data scientists“
DDMA Montly Meetup Artificial Intelligence, online. slides | link
- March 23: Invited talk on Recommender systems for bursting filter bubbles
BBC Data Dates, online
- February 11: Panelist in panel discussion on Responsible data science in practice
ICT.Open 2021, online
- February 10: Guest lecture on Recommender systems, algorithmic bias, and bias mitigation in hiring and recruitment
BSc Business Information Technology, Universiteit Twente, online
- December 11: Guest lecture on Recommender systems for bursting filter bubbles and mitigating bias in recruitment
MSc Applied Data Science Ethics Colloquium Series, Universiteit Utrecht.
- November 20: Talk on AI for bursting filter bubbles and addressing bias in hiring
Industry and Society day at BNAIC/BeneLearn 2020, Leiden. link
- November 12: Guest lecture on using AI to bring news to readers and jobs to job seekers
Leergang Artificial Intelligence voor juristen basiscursus, Universiteit Leiden, Leiden. link
- October 29: Talk on Algorithmic matching, bias, and bias mitigation in automated recruitment
Anti-Discrimination Hackathon, Online. link | post | video
- September 23: Co-host of the “Sharing is Caring” social event at RecSys 2020. Online. link
- January 23: Panel discussion on “Algorithms and AI-driven technologies in the information society”
CPDP2020 Conference on Data Protection and Artificial Intelligence, Brussels, Belgium. link
- November 27: Content Enrichment and Recommendation of Financial News
Knowledge sharing session at ABN AMRO, ABN AMRO Head Office, Amsterdam.
- November 26: Panel discussion on “Challenges in Digital Literacy”
Digital Society Conference at Media Plaza, Utrecht. link | tweet
- October 8: Bias in recommendations
SIKS Course ‘Advances in Information Retrieval’, Mitland Hotel, Utrecht, The Netherlands. link | slides
- September 11: Recommender Systems in the Media Industry – Relevance, Recency, Popularity, and Diversity (lecture and hands-on session, together with Daan Odijk)
The ACM Summer School on Recommender Systems, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden. link | slides and notebooks
- June 20: Explainable AI. Should companies justify algorithmic decisions?
Talk on “Reading News with a Purpose” + participation in panel session with Marcel Worring and Hinda Haned.
Academisch-Cultureel Podium SPUI25, Amsterdam. link | video
- May 20: Guest lecture “Collectieve Intelligentie” on News Personalization and Ethics @ FD Mediagroep
Universiteit van Amsterdam (1st year Bachelor program Informatiekunde), Amsterdam.
- April 12: Opening the black box of user profiles for self-actualization
ICAI – AIRLab meetup on Fair and transparent machine learning, Zaandam, The Netherlands. link
- March 20: Panel: Where is YOUR moral compass in building AI systems?
ICT.Open 2019, Hilversum, The Netherlands. link | tweet
- March 5: SMART Journalism Update
Internal talk for editors of Het Financieele Dagblad, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. tweet
- January 21: FD Mediagroep @ ICT with Industry: opening the black box of user profiles.
ICT with Industry, Leiden, The Netherlands. link
- December 15: How Media Technology brought me from Media to Technology (and media)
Media Technology’s Alumni Lecture Series: What’s next? #2: Research. Leiden, The Netherlands. link
- October 6: “Let Me Tell You Who You are” — Explaining Recommender Systems by Opening Black Box User Profiles
The 2nd FATREC Workshop: Responsible Recommendation at RecSys 2018, Vancouver, Canada. link
- June 7: Technologische ontwikkelingen in informatievoorziening, KNVI-JI Middagsessie, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- May 25: Wat is een algoritme? Toepassingen, voorbeelden, etc., Civil Weapons of Math Retaliation, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- May 17: Financial News Mining, Mind, Text & Mining Seminar, VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- March 28: Zoeken, vinden, en aanbevelen: personalisatie vs. privacy, vogin-ip-lezing 2018: Zoeken & Vinden, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link | slides
- February 28th: Life after PhD…, Inspire session @ Data Science Career Fair, ACE @ Science Park, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link
- February 9th: Financial News Mining, PyData, RTL Nederland, Hilversum, The Netherlands. link | slides
- November 16th: Financial News Mining, Data Science Northeast Netherlands, Mydatafactory, Meppel, The Netherlands. link | slides
- October 19th: A word from our hosts…, The 8th Recommender Systems Amsterdam Meetup, FD Mediagroep, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link
- June 22nd: Regionale Data in Company.info, Workshop “van regionale data naar informatie,” Utrecht School of Economics, Utrecht, The Netherlands. link
- June 18th: De macht van data — Hoe algoritmen ons leven vormgeven, De Balie, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link | video
- June 16th: Entities of Interest — Discovery in Digital Traces PhD Defence, De Agnietenkapel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. link | slides
- May 9th: Data & Democracy: een nieuwe liefde?, De Nieuwe Liefde, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- March 23rd: Data maken van nieuws, FD Mediagroep, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- November 22nd: Big Data & Machine Learning – Mogelijkheden & Valkuilen, Koninklijke Marechaussee Intelligence Dag, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands. slides
- July 13th: Analyzing and Predicting Task Reminders, 24th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2016), Halifax, Canada. slides
- March 29th: Unpublished work, at internal ILPS group talk. Amsterdam.
- February 25th: Dynamic Collective Entity Representations for Entity Ranking, The 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2016), San Francisco, CA, USA. slides
- February 16th: Dynamic Collective Entity Representations for Entity Ranking (practice talk), at internal ILPS group talk. Amsterdam.
- December 22nd: Unpublished work, at internal ILPS group talk, University of Amsterdam.
- November 27th: Dynamic Collective Entity Representations for Entity Ranking, The 14th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop (DIR 2015), Amsterdam. slides
- October 16th: Final project presentation, CLUES group, Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, US.
- May 22nd: Semantic Search for E-Discovery, Bachelor Informatica Seminar, at University of Amsterdam.
- May 19th: Email forwarding prediction, at internal ILPS group talk, University of Amsterdam.
- April 15th: Achter het Algoritme, Wat het internet voor jou verbergt, at BètaBreak. Amsterdam. video
- December 12th: Understanding Email Traffic, at Frontiers of Forensic Science Lecture Series, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. slides
- June 27th: Entity Linking (at SEA), at Search Engines Amsterdam (SEA), Amsterdam, The Netherlands. slides
- June 12th: Semantic Search in E-Discovery / Understanding Email Traffic, at the E-Discovery NL Symposium 2014, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. slides | video
- April 15th: Generating Pseudo-Ground Truth for Predicting New Concepts in Social Streams, at ECIR ’14, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. slides
- March 27th: Semantic search in E-Discovery, at Open Minded, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- February 22nd: Generating Pseudo-Ground Truth for Predicting New Concepts in Social Streams / Unpublished work, at CLIP talks, University of Maryland, Maryland, USA.
- November 27th: yourHistory – entity linking for a personalized timeline of historic events, at ICT.OPEN 2013, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. slides
- September 12th: Semantic Linking and Contextualization for Social Forensic Text Analysis, at the Forensic Text Analysis Workshop at EISIC ’13, Uppsala, Sweden.
- September 18th: Semantic Search in E-Discovery, at the NWO Forensic Science Symposium, Den Haag, The Netherlands. slides